• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Sealed strut question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I received some education by a member of this forum in understanding my J-3's struts and the A.D. that applies to them. I don't want to mention the gentleman's name because of liability reasons, but I'm grateful for his help in spooling me up. I have a lingering question I am hoping for help with.

My Cub's struts have 7/16" forks, and there is a note in the logbook the "struts" are now due for inspection. My new understanding is that if I pull a strut bolt and can see a bushing in the strut, then those are sealed struts from wag air, exempt from the A.D. and therefore only the forks need to be inspected. With the help of an A&P I did this and sure enough they appear sealed, so I snapped a photo to show my IA. Since most people simply replace the forks rather than having them inspected, I purchased four from univair and am ready for my annual. Well, almost, because my IA wasn't part of the discussion and he isn't likely to sign off on hearsay.

How do I convince my IA that only the forks need to be swapped out to comply with the AD? I don't see markings or stampings on the strut, unless I didn't look close enough, to show what they are. No entry in the logbooks Identifies their origin, just that they were replaced during the recovering. I think it's sort of obvious that he can't pour linseed oil into them if he tried, but he may have difficulty signing off the fork swap if he doesn't know that they are bonafide sealed struts.

I think what I am looking for is some reference to show a path to compliance he can refer to in his sign off. I want to make it easy for him.
Thanks for the help!
M

Latest posts

Back