• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Questions on silver L-4's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-491

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My Cub is one of the first 100 L-4B's produced that were painted all silver and delivered to Fort Sill in July of 1942. They had the military markings, the insignia blue star in the white circle, but no red meatball in the center, and no bars. The stars on the wings were large and placed way out by the wing tips. I believe, but can't confirm, that they had U.S. Army on the bottom of the wing.

Is there any known reason why these first 100 were all silver? All production before (L-4A's) and after (remainder of L-4B production) were all the OD scheme.

Per the photo's below, L-4J's I believe, they are also silver but with top of nose painted black. Did they come from Piper like that, or did the military convert them? And what is the significance of the "LC" markings on the fuselage, are they military markings or CAP markings?

The records for my Cub show that it was at Tinker AFB (among others) after the war, re-designated as an L-4K.

Thank you.

Dave

L-4s at Tinker AFB.jpg

BuddLake_NJ_Cub_CAP.jpg

L-4s at Tinker AFB.jpg

BuddLake_NJ_Cub_CAP.jpg

Latest posts

Back