• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Painting over Aerothane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5man

Reaction score
Hey Bob, you probably been there.....?

Got a rude surprise on my Acroduster project. Went to patch hole in belly and hit it with MEK.....NOTHING:eek: I thought it had been done in Polytone. (In retrospect it was too much shine)

Anyway the entire aircraft is white Aerothane over polyfiber process and my plan was to trim and sunburst wings in red and already purchased Polytone., no problem.......(I don't want to mess with aerothane...Period! Indeed if I would have known/realized it was aerothane I might have walked) Called the guy I purchased the project from to confirm, he's an IA/cropduster with much repair/rebuilt work. He was sorry I made mistake thinking it was polytone and while he hadn't tried it, suggested scuffing with scotchbrite and using the Polytone over the aerothane.

I did the repair by sanding off the aerothane and making patch using polyfiber process and it was ok considering on the belly. Then I decided to try the polytone over the aerothane with a sunburst on the tail feathers. Sanded the surface with pretty coarse scotchbrite and cleaned with MEK. Shot the red Polytone and it looks great.

Very satisfied but wonder if it will hold up? You(Bob) or anyone else ever done this?

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back