• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Painting Over Older Polytone Paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-29080

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased a set of Ken Wilson's beautiful stencils for the cowling data block and fuel placards for the L-4.

The aircraft was covered and finished over five years ago now in the Polyfibre system, including Polytone paint. The question was how to sucessfully apply the new stencils in Polytone over the older paint.

I called Polyfiber and spoke to their resident expert, Hualdo. He told me that the paint first had to be cleaned using Polyfiber paint cleaning solvent, C-2210, according to label instructions. Then, the paint had to be roughed up using a fine grade of sandpaper.

After some experimentation, I decided to use the finest grade of furniture refinishing steel wool that I could find (super-fine 0000, "quad aught") in place of the sandpaper. The hope was to still micro abrade the old paint, providing a surface to which the new paint would easiy adhere, without damage to the underlying paint.

Prepping the areas with steel wool appears to have worked. After several weeks, the markings appear permanant, as they would have been if applied over fresh paint. This remains true even after a bath in fuel and some post flight wipe downs. There's no evidence of the necessary paint surface preparation.

The pics below were taken immediately after stencil application. After drying, the Polytone insignia blue paint darkens significantly and appears almost black today.

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back