• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Oil leak common?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daluds

Reaction score
I took a short flight (20-30min), and noticed small drops of oil on the windshield and a lot on the landing gear and cowling. I suspect the stuff on the landing gear and maybe the windshield was from cleaning solution from recent cowling cleaning. I checked inside the engine compartment, and found oil leaked on top of the carburetor and on top of the air filter intake. It was enough to cover my hand when I wiped it. It was dry before the flight since I checked out both with the cowling off as part of an annual.

How much leaking oil is acceptable or typical? It appeared to be coming from the seam of the engine near a bolt above the carburetor, but I don't know where it was coming from. I read a previous post saying this can't be fixed without breaking down the engine and installing silk string between the halves.

Thanks!

Back