• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New L 4J owner checking in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140pilot

Reaction score
Just signed on here and thought I would check in with the group. I recently purchased an 45 L4J N1432V Ser no. 13975 Frame no. 13811. I will not take delivery of the ship until the middle of this week. I have a good chain of ownership from the civilian side but have not started digging into the military side. I do know the aircraft was transferred from the USAF to the Maryland Wing of the CAP in 1951 and it was based at Bolling field in DC. It was converted by them to a J3 in 1952 and was sold by the CAP in 1956 where it went through several owners until 1961 and that family kept the plane until 2008. It has always been in DC and Maryland.

The ship was just restored and was flown from Maryland to Oshkosh and back and it received the judges choice award for Liaison. I have been flying and still own a Cessna 140 for the last 12 years so owning the L4 will be an educational process. I was already surprised at the difference in insurance cost. The L4 is actually coming in higher than a Mooney I was quoted that had 15k more hull value and 600 a year higher than the 140. Oh well!

Quick question to all. I have zero time in a Cub. I have around 1000 hours total with about 325 hours in taildraggers 50 of those in the last 6 months and all in my 140 and a couple hours of Citabria time. I would love to get a couple hours dual in it but I have never found a local instructor to give me BFR's in my 140 so I doubt that will happen. Any recommendations on what to look for flying the L4 and handling on landing?

This is going to be fun!

3.jpg

Dec24_0003.jpg

3.jpg

Dec24_0003.jpg

Latest posts

Back