• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Found my L4's illustrious war history

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

140pilot

Reaction score
I was researching the history on my L 4 and like everyone else I wondered what it did during the war and in Air Corps service. Well I now have the entire illustrious history of 45-55209. On 8/13/45 it took off from Cubhaven airport. It flew to Altoona and then to Cumberland Md. After that enroute to Elkins WV while 10 miles off course it experienced carb ice, the pilot applied carb heat off and on incorrectly and made a forced landing in a field and she flipped over. And so with a grand total of 4 hours and 35 minutes of flight time on its very first day 45-55209 lay upside down in a field in Glady Wv.

And so the total " war " history of my L4 is that it took off and crashed. Interestingly it was shipped off to Bolling Field in DC for repairs and my first civilian record of the aircraft is the CAP at Bolling Field taking delivery of it in 1952 with 1012 hours TT and a fresh overhauled engine. So the Air Corps must have kept it in DC and flown it there.

I love this statement from the pilot

Investigator : What was your procedure when the RPM dropped to 1000 ?

Pilot : I figured it was ice. I turned the carb heat on a while and it would go back to 1900 then I would turn it off and it would go back to 2100

Investigator : So you would put the carb heat full on and then turn it off each time?

Pilot : It didnt drop off as much with the carb heat on. It would only drop 200.

Investigator : Why not just leave the carb heat on ?

Pilot : I only turned it on when it would cut out or lose power. I didnt think you could leave it full on.

Investigator : That is not the way to use carb heat

Pilot : It isnt ? Thats all I know. I had the same trouble once last winter

Investigator : If you had used your carb heat properly you should have made it to Elkins. Is there anything else you wish to say.

Pilot : No sir.

I have a feeling this guy was peeling potatos for awhile after this incident. ;D

Latest posts

Back