• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

needing help starting a Continental engine on an L4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp15705

Reaction score
I have a L4 with a engine with 5 hrs on it I need help in learning how to start it. I found that it is rather fickle when it's cold (40 ish is cold in Seattle). I am able to put heat to it and it starts readily by priming it and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I pull it through 8 to 10 pulls. Turn on the mags and it will start within a few pulls ( usually)

This weekend I flew it out for a lunch and it sat facing into the wind (15g20) after an hour it had cooled WAY down. I primed twice and pulled through as usual then went hot and pulled the prop till I was blue in the face.

I asked for help from an [glow=red,2,300]old hand[/glow] who said that it was easy to do!! ( for him) He had me pump the throttle 3 times. crack the throttle 1/2" and give it 1 1/2 shots of prime. He had me hold the primer out half way. He pulled it twice and when it coughed I pushed in the primer and off it ran.. Easy to do for him.

So now I am paranoid about flying it out and letting it cool. I am afraid it will never start. Can someone tell me of a fool proof method of starting a J3 with a 75 Continental if there is one?
I have heard a lots of tales but the one I saw this weekend worked although it seemed a little unorthodox using the primer like a choke,

Anything would be appriciated.

Helpless in seattle!! :'(

Latest posts

Back