• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need some help with wing tank decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulRies

Reaction score
This is my first restoration project, 1946 metal spar J-3 from a basket case. I'm about ready to start assembling the wings but need to make a decision reagarding the fuel system configuration. Any feedback on the pros & cons regarding the various options would be greatly appreciated.

Background Data:
Engine: C85 or C90
Metal spar wing construction
Want to keep it a certified aircraft

Option 1: Keep the fuselage tank and add an auxillary fuel tank in the wing per STC (Wag-Aero).
Option 2: Remove the fuselage tank and add 2 Wag-Aero 11.5 gallon wing tanks per their STC.
Option 3: Remove the fuselage tank and add 2 pa-18 18 gallon wing tanks per the Atlee-Dodge STC (2 header tanks)
Option 4: Remove the fuselage tank and add 1 pa-18 18 gallon left wing tank, i.e. pa-11 configuration (1 header tank).

Although cost is always an issue, I am more interested in hearing about the impact on aircraft performance/flyability, nostalgia, and overall enjoyment.

According to past forum posts, there have been problems with the Wag-Aero tanks. Anybody have any recent experience? Is there any problem having the fabric rest against the top of the fuel tank?

I have to admit that I am not much of a fan of the pressurized fuel cap. Are there other ways to install these tanks without having the tubes sticking up?

Thanks,
Paul

Latest posts

Back