• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need advice on instructing new student

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3holerman

Reaction score
Several years ago my 28 year old son told me one of his biggest regrets was not soloing in my cub 10 years ago when I first got it.

I have many hours in tailwheels from J3's to DC-3's and renewed my instructors rating for him. I did take a short hiatus from instructing for the past 30+ years to fly for the airlines.

He had around 8.5 hours now and we have been doing To/Lds from a 2700 foot grass strip. He is having difficulty in a couple of areas and I would appreciate in hearing from some here that have experience in instructing in J3's

I asked a bit earlier on what to start him in full stall or wheel landings after the airwork and it seemed the full stall was most recommended.

He doesn't seem to get the sight picture on when to flare and how much.
I had him looking over the nose at the far end of the runway and using your peripheral vision to looking out the side with the door open.

His landings are very inconsistent with about half needing some physical input from me. We have had s slight x-wind the last few days, no more than 3-5 K xwind component. He has a little over 5 hours doing To/lds now and is getting a bit discouraged.

I know its my lack of ability as an instructor that's keeping him from progressing and would like some advice on what I might do.

Latest posts

Back