• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

market research

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kundrakub

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm trying to gauge the market for PA-18 and J-3 fuselage mods. I am aware of some of the mods out there such as: 4" wider fuse, 3rd row seats/extended baggage, doors on both sides, etc. I don't know about you guys but I'm 6'2" and by the time I get inside a J-3, I look like Houdini inside the glass box!! From the back seat it seems the brakes are tucked too far under the front seat to use effectively with your heels and from the front seat the diagonal cross braces which angle down between the rudder pedals prohibit me from getting to the brakes at all. Plus I have to use my toes to actuate the rudder pedals! The other thing I noticed is that the seats are too close to the floor boards so that you feel like your sitting on the ball of the your butt; not very comfortable for any length of time. Of course my comments are centered on the J-3 and I've never been in a PA-18 before. Maybe you guys can help me out there.

It's a shame because I love the nostalgic beauty of these planes. I don't know if people where smaller back then or they just didn't think about human factors and ergonomics.

Anyway, I'm trying to judge the level of interest in a more user friendly cockpit. I know what I'm getting into here as I've discussed this with my local ACO. The thought is to make a much needed career change and get into something that has been a lifelong passion of mine.

Latest posts

Back