• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Magnetized Airframe from Starter Cable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 46 J-3 that was recently restored. It also has a Skytech starter on an O-200 engine with the cable from the battery running up the left side of the tank, through the firewall to to the starter. When you engage the starter, mags either on or off, the compass swings around and locks on due west, regardless of direction. I rented the Magnaflux Y-6 degaussing tool from Sacramento Skyranch and that demagnetized the airframe to allow the compass to work again, but as it kept doing it, I purchased a Y-6 unit myself. I have tried shielding the cable, that didn't work. I'm going to try two more things. One, disconnect the cable from the battery and use jumper cables to run the starter to make sure that it's not the starter. I don't think it is. Second, reroute the cable from the battery (located in front of the front stick on the floor) through the bottom center of the firewall. The part of the plane that become most magnetized appears to be the NEAR THE upper LEFT side of fuel tank (likely the front strap that holds the tank in place) or the firewall itself. THE TANK IS ALUMINUM.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed!!

Mac Downs

Latest posts

Back