• Become a Subscribing Member today!

    J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

    Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

    Why become a Subscribing Member?

    • J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

    Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

    Subscribe Now

1946 Piper Cub, N42455

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Reaction score
This Cub only had a few owners and less than 600 hours total time when I bought it. It was Registered by Piper on November 15, 1945. Registration shows it is a 1946 J3-C65, Serial # 14722. Essentially, it went down the assembly line as an L-4 but was completed as a J3. The ferry flight from Lock Haven to Sacramento took 10 days and 40 hours of time logged between 11/16/1945 and 11/26/1945.

First owners were apparently dealers in the the SF Bay/Sacramento area. The aircraft ownersip went from Aviation Activities Company at Sherman Field in Concord, CA to Capital Aero Services of Sacramento who bought the plane for $2010 and registered it in December of 1945. The plane was flown locally and accumulated 143 hours in three months with flights by by BF Hodges and and Thomas C Kendell. Flying stopped after March 16, 1946 and on June 3, 1946 it was sold to Brandt, Perkins and Brandt of Alicia Airport in Marysville, CAthe next log entry was for major repairs of nose, gas tank, insturment panel, both wings and engine by Frank Sylvestri.Frank Sylvestri and James Morrison of San Francisco in September of 1946. They repaired the plane and sold it to George Kotsotas in January of 1947. The plane flew another 17 hours until July of 1947 when the log shows it was involved in a taxiing accident. The prop was replaced and left wing repaired along with right wing leading edge. The plane was then plane was repaired in July of 1947. and flew another 8 hours that year.

In 1950 the plane was repossessed by the Bank of America for failure to pay the $78.60 monthly payment on the $1,800 note. The Bank of America sold it to W.L Cooley of San Carlos, CA who sold it one week later to Don and Alton Bergevin, farmers in Moreland, ID. The log shows an 8 hour ferry flight from Oakland to Reno to Blackfoot Idaho from 3/31/50 to 4/1/50. From April 1950 through September 1953, the Bergevins flew the plane 63.75 hours. In Dec. of 1953, it was sold to H.E. Benson of Blackfoot who owned it for a little over one year and flew the plane another 18.25 hours.

The plane was purchased by Ken Cook of Ririe Idaho in November 1955.In January of 1956, the C65 engine was removed and in May of 1956, a C90-8F was installed and the aircraft modified to add spay equipment and a 6 gal wing tank. A restrictedAirworthiness Certificate was amended to include Agricultural Spraying. On Sep 16, 1956 the sprays system was removed and the the rear seat was re-installed. Log indicates from May 10, 1956 to Sept 16, 1956, the aircraft was flown 27.5 hours. A second entry indicates the plane flew 10 hours total in 1957 and was not flown after May 10, 1957. In 1958 it flew 32 hours. Ending the year with 335 hours on the airframe. In 1959 it flew another 10 hours 40 minutes. In 1961 all spray equipment was removed and the aircraft was returned to standard category. It flew 6 hours 10 minutes in 1961.

In May of 1962 it was damaged on the ground by a wind storm. Tail and horizontal stabilizers were replaced. Plan was not flown from 1962 until the same owner rebuilt and recovered the plane in 1972 with TTAF 351.5. It then went into the hangar until 1985. From 1985 through 1995 it averaged 10 hours a year tallying up another 138.9 hours . It than was dormant again from 1996 through 2004. During this time, it was always hangared.

I bought the plane in September of 2011 with TTAF 532 TTE 270. I earned my tail wheel endorsement in October. In December, while flying, the rings on the C90 seized. I made it safely back to the airport and promptly did a full top-end.

I now have more than 90 hour in the Cub including a 30 hour flight over the Tetons and Wind Rivers to Kansas and back via Monarch pass.




Latest posts