• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Mag condenser question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombro44

Reaction score
Can anyone answer the following Bendix S-20 series and SF4 series capacitor question? The SF4 overhaul manual says the capacitor needs to have 0.17 mfd capacitance MINIMUM. It doesn't state an upper limit. Whereas the Continental X42002 S-20 series (ex S4RN type) lists a range to pass, both lower and upper allowable capacitance values. I know the function of the capacitor is to reduce/prevent point arcing and help collapse the magnetic field. So by inference, I would guess the lower limit is the most important? Anyone know what would happen if the capacitance gets too high over time?? I've test run on the bench mags with capacitance slightly over the allowable limit (S4RN) and it still runs fine and the points don't arc any more or less than when a capacitor that meets both limits is installed. Also of note for anyone who is curious, I bench ran a mag without the capacitor, and the points REALLY arc. So I guess the capacitor just reduces/minimizes arcing, but doesn't actually prevent point arcing. Any thoughts appreciated, even basic all around info from Slick owners. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back