• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Lots of Questions about LSA Cubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondo

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and have a bunch of questions. I am hoping that this is the place to get them answered. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I am a private pilot now and am doubt I am going to renew my medical. I have always admired cubs and am now looking at them because they are certificated airplanes that fall into the lsa rules (and they are just great classic planes).

so..

1. Is it possible to have a light sport cub that has an electric start. Hand propping is not for me and I would like to avoid it if I can.
2. Can any of the cubs be flown from the front seat (I've heard variously that this is possible in cubs with wing tanks- is that an option? If so, which, if any, cubs have that capability)
3. I always hear the phrase "flies like a cub" to describe great flying. (I know I'm gonna take some real heat for this here!), but what is so great about them? I have also heard the following: brakes suck, fly like crap in any wind at all, with cruise and stall so close- can easily get dangerous (E.g. easy way to spin in), uncomfortable. What are the ups and downs of flying cubs? Are they really so great? Or is it just the nostalgia? (Please, take it easy on me when answering this- I am really just curious)
4. Can any of the 85 HP cubs be flown light sport? Are there really any factory 85 hp cubs? or were those not manufactured that way?
5. What about hangering a cub? Is anything special required? I am worried a little bit about birds and mice.
6. Can they really be flown in the winter? I don't mind getting cold- I'm thinking mabye a snowmobile suit would make it tolerable- what do you think?

Cubs are attractive to me in many ways. However, the questions I have asked represent some concerns I have. I would love information on these subjects or anything else you think is useful to know about flying a cub light sport.

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back