• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Looking for Mr. Bickle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

Reaction score
This is a quite neat story:
I teared down the fabric on my fuselage a few years ago. It is now on it´s way to become straight (straighter!) and fitted with new cowling, birdcage and fabric.

Nevertheless, I decided to take care of the ailerons as well, but as ALWAYS things takes time (how much should you add? 3x or 4x of initial time table??) so I started just a few weeks ago with them.

There was no doubt that they had been around for a while. Lots of dents and bent structures, and it was obvious that the former owner (between 1979-2006) just washed down the old paint without refabric.

Now, when I examined my right aileron I founded a tag in black lead! Not only a name was written down - there was a date as well:)
What I can see, the name is RUSSLE BICKLE (or Bukle) 2-11-44.

My L4H, 11578-1317 and 43-30287 was entered ETO in june 1944. In november that year it should been somewhere in the Belgium area, due to information about 83:rd infantry division.

Of course my thoughts goes a way a bit. Was he a mechanic? Was he the one who repaired the aileron? Is the aileron replaced? IS IT POSSIBLE TO FIND HIM OR HIS RELATIVES??? This could be a source to find photo documentation!

I do understand that this is like the famous needle in the hey stack, but it might be worth a try!
Does any one have a clue or at least a hint of which sources to use when to search for people? It feels like I need some help here.......

Finally, this tag ads an emotional value to the most fantastic historical document - the cub!
Rgds
Johan

pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Latest posts

Back