• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Another L4 for renovation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

Reaction score
Fairly new on this fantastic source of knowledge and good humor!
I would like to share a nice cub story and since my renovation has started - I need some help!

11578-1317 saw the first light in February 1944 and received the military number 43-30287. She (of course) arrived Barry in UK april -44 and was dedicated to 83:rd Infantry division. After training in England the 83:rd landed in Normandy between June 21-25. 43-30287 participated together with the other nine L4H in the Division. What I can see, 43-30287 was finished as war material in may 1945, and was stored in Germany. Sold to Switzerland in september -45 as surplus. Four owners in Switzerland as HB-OAM and then sold to Germany in 1956 as D-EBIR. I own about 10 logbooks from Germany and it is interesting reading!
When I googled on HB-OAM I found out that Elly Beinhorn owned a piper cub with that registration in mid 1950. She flew 1931 with a Klemm 25 from Germany to Australia. After the war she moved to Switzerland, and with HB-OAM she flew over the alps, through Italy and over the Mediterranean to Libya!
D-EBIR was sold to Denmark in 1979 and I bought her from that man in 2006. I am pretty sure, he was not aware of the aircrafts history.
I have since then been flying 43-30287 as SE-BEY with joy but with a knowledge that the Danish owner did a bad painting work. That together with the need of a bird cage and a sliding window was enough to rip the fabric from the fuselage. I have find very fine info about the bird cage on this site - thanks to everyone!!

When I have the fuselage in this condition I would like to take the opportunity to weld on float fittings. Does anyone knew where to get suitable fittings and a STC?

Johan

Latest posts

Back