• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Late Night Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cub2Fly

During last year’s Grass Roots Fly-In at Brodhead, WI., a older gentleman with a cane approached my J-3, walked around the ship a few times and then asked if I was the owner. I answered yes and prepared for the usual questions. Instead, after eyeing up the ship for a few more seconds he said, “The old bird sure looks better than the last time I saw her”. This was a response I was not expecting. I asked, “Are you familiar with this Cub?” He replied, “I sure am, I learned to fly and soloed in this airplane back in 1948 at a small airport in Northern Illinois. He added, “I never forgot 92012.” I knew his statement was correct as the log book history of my J-3 began on March 28, 1946, the day the ship was delivered from Lock Haven to an FBO in Lasalle, Il. He began to tell me about the training he received and what it was like to fly Cubs in the midwest during the late 1940’s. He added that he remained an active private pilot until later in life when health issues grounded him. I offered to take him for a hop, he declined, probably due to those issues. I asked if he would like to sit in the rear seat. With a broad smile he said “I sure would”. He added that to do so he would need some assistance. It took a bit of maneuvering, but I managed to finally get him positioned in the same seat he occupied nearly 60 years earlier. He took hold of the stick, placed his hand on the throttle, his eyes scanning the instrument panel. For a moment he was back in the late 40’s, a much younger man, reunited with an old friend. He asked me several questions about my Cub, particularly it’s history since leaving Illinois, I gladly answered. When he was ready to climb out of the seat I again provided the necessary help. We talked again for a brief time and after a long final look at the Cub, he smiled, thanked me and said goodbye. The experience reminded me of thoughts I’ve had before. Thoughts about the countless number of would-be aviators that were introduced to the love of flying in the venerable old Piper Cubs. And the primary training that occurred in the pre-war Cubs that ultimately produced so many war-time heros of our “greatest generation”. It is so true that the Cubs we restore, fly and cherish are truly a legacy of aviation history. History that will never be repeated and the rich treasure these little yellow ships provide us today is valued beyond measurement. We are so blessed and have a lot to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving day. Gary B

Latest posts

Back