• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Land shorter / Takeoff faster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nesincg

Reaction score
For various odd reasons and some stars aligning, I've been selected to participate in the STOL demonstration at Airventure this year using my stock 65hp J-3. It was decided they needed to have an economy entry to appeal to the common man and youth. Not really to complete, but to demonstrate that short field / off field could be done and could be affordable to the average pilot with appropriate skills.

Not really looking for tactics here but mechanical suggestions on how to get the plane to takeoff slower and land slower. I'm just finishing restoration on a 90hp PA-11, which will also be going to OSH, so budget is really slim right now.

1. Weight is the obvious first thing and my own diet is the cheapest and fastest (fasted) weight loss option. Other than that all I can think of is using half tank gas to save weight.
2. Was considering VGs and wondering if those whom installed them were happy with the results.
3. I just sold a C-85 a few months ago and am kicking myself. I didn't know I'd have this J-3. This would obviously only help the takeoff portion anyway.
4. I have grove brakes so stopping power shouldn't be too big a deal. Besides I don't need to flip over in front of a few thousand people.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Latest posts

Back