• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Advantages of Upgrading from A65 to C85

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwetzler

Reaction score
So, after a long and draining debate with a friend today, I thought I'd turn to those of you here wbbbbith much more knowledge and experience than me (pretty much everyone) to help settle a dispute. While discussing the current upgrade project for my 47 J-3 from the original A65-8 to a C85-12, a friend began to give his (albeit unwanted at the time) opinion regarding the value of such an upgrade. Contrary to my stance (obviously since I'm shelling out the $ for the project), he strongly believes that little is gained in power from the upgrade. According to him, the gain in power is negligible, especially when an electrical system (in this case starter and battery) is added. His exact words were "it's still a Cub, not a Champ" to which I replied, if I wanted a champ I could have saved $10k+...but still, it got me thinking...how much (if any) of a noticeable difference in performance can I expect? My goal in this project, as I mentioned in several other posts was two-fold: Install a starter for my 90 yr old grandfather who pilots the plane frequently, and gain a bit of insurance climbing out over the trees at both ends of my home base on a hot day with a passenger and a full tank, rather than having to aim for "the gap" as I do now. In addition to his stance on the power gain, he also was steadfast in his claim that I can expect to lose 30 minutes of fuel burn after the swap (1.5 hrs, rather than 2), and even more confusing to me lose most of my braking capabilities. The first of these, the fuel burn, doesn't bother me much even if it's true. I can stand more than an hour without stretching my legs on most XC flights, so I don't anticipate much of a problem should I actually lose 30 minutes. The second issue however, does trouble me a bit. Luckily, I tend to think he's full of, well you know when it comes to the braking claim. As is, I RARELY use my brakes, except when swinging the tail around for various reasons. Typically, even at my home base that requires short fields 99% of the time, stick burried in my lap is all the "braking" I ever need. So I got to thinking, perhaps he meant the added weight up front (only a few pounds really) increases the chance for a prop strike? His exact words again were "that 85 will drag you down the runway". Now logic tells me a few things here; 1st, people are full of crap. 2nd, why would SO many people put the time and hard earned cash into this particular upgrade if any/all of what he says is true? So now, I turn it over to you geniuses out there in Cubbie land. Please, ease my concerns...unless of course he's right, in which case anyone want to buy a C85-12? Just Kidding!!!

Latest posts

Back