• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L-4 Oxygen Tank External Fuel Supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

I've seen this in a couple photos of overseas L-4s. I remember reading somewhere L-4's were modified with bomber oxygen tanks as an supplmental fuel tank (may be completely wrong though?). You can plainly see the tank mounted in this photo taken of an L-4 in France 1944 (despite the signal corp indicating that it is an L-5 :rolleyes: ). Does anyone have any more photographs of this setup? I think I can see a hose exiting the tank, but my question is how the hose was mounted in order to keep the fuel flowing with gravity. Furthermore, I'm my experience with Cubs, by the time you got to the height to use Oxygen, you'd be out of fuel, so I have my doubts about it being an O2 tank. I defer to the experts...

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 10.22.22 PM.jpg

L4Notice O2Tank.jpg

Latest posts

Back