• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L-4 Data Plate and other questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently conducted a quick prebuy inspection on an L-4B with an 85 -12F engine. There are lots of things wrong with the plane but none that can probably be fixed along the way. The plane was rebuilt in 1993-94 after it had been in a wreck but the owner did not know what he was doing concerning keeping the plane historically accurate. Anyway, the U.S. Army Air Corps data plate is missing. If the records pan out that it is a true L-4, can a duplicate data plate be produced?

Also, the left interior has a plywood panel which is incorrect. I think it is supposed to be covered in fabric. Can this be fixed without taking the plane apart?

The rear seat is typical J-3 Cub. Can this be fixed again without taking the airplane apart?

This plane is supposed to have been built in 1943 but the wings have metal spars. Unfortunately the owner did not replace the leading edge when he recovered the wings. There are a lot of dents :( that could have been filled, hammered out or replaced.

I have contacted Clyde Smith by email to see if the serial number the plane is registered under is a valid L-4 serial number. So far I have not heard from Clyde. I have also contacted Maxwell Air Force Base to check their archives. I just got an email from them that they are several weeks behind.

Any insight from the L-4 crowd will be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back