• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

J4E wing fuel level guage

KCVBguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you even have a picture of one? Doing a J4E resto here as well and don’t even know what it would look like!

bob turner

Reaction score
No such thing as a guage. And not sure, but I think the J4 only had fuselage tanks - aux behind your head.

AKJurnee

Reaction score
Yes the J4E has a Starboard side wing tank and the fuel indicator sight glass is just like the J-5, and very similar to the PA-12. I believe Wag has a repo.

Last edited:

BeaverBill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the fuel gauge out of the 18 gallon J5A wing tank. I think that the 7 gallon nose tank may have used the same setup, just inverted and installed in the top of the tank. Since Piper tended to recycle existing parts in new aircraft models, quite possibly used in the J4's too.
image.jpeg

KCVBguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much. In the J4,:it is a 9 gallon header tank with a QTY IND much like your picture. Fortunately, that component of my header tank is good. This machine also came with (1941 E model) with a RH wing 12 gallon tank. What I am looking for is info on the (bottom of the wing) QTY IND system that mush have been incorporated. There is about a 1.5 inch center tube and a flange around the center of this tank which seems like there must have been some type of cork and indicator system inserted in it , to determine the QTY of the 12 gallon unit.

KCVBguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought further about this. Is it that this would stick down out of the bottom of the wing? I hadn’t thought of that till now. New to the world of old tailwheel planspes (but loving it.) I fly a 46 7AC Champ and thought the J4 wing tank might have incorporated something similar to the bubble type indicator on the header tank of the Champ. Didn’t imagine one sticking down 6 inches from the bottom of the RH Wing. Still learning.

BeaverBill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. The indicator in the photo is installed in the bottom of the wing tank and hangs down below the wing. This part just goes up into the bung in the bottom of the tank and must have been held in place with a threaded ring, although I don't have that part. Not unlike the nut that holds a Champ nose tank gauge in place. Piper used the under wing indicators on a number of models, including the PA12's and PA20's. The later versions are a simpler design, just a float on a rod that rides up and down in the sight gauge.

KCVBguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very much appreciated. With that, I have a direction!