• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J3 Wings Pre-Cover Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi J3 Experts.....
I'm getting ready to cover a pair of new Dakota Cub J3 wings, metal spars of course. I also have a set of their PMA'd ailerons. So here are some questions...

1. The ailerons came with a set of control cables that need to be made. Is it the practice to leave a pull-wire in the internal fairleads to the internal pulley during covering so that when the wings are assembled to the fuselage, the cables can be installed and cut to length with the ailerons installed? This seems the best to me rather than trying to cut them to some factory length. I also will be using a replacement fuselage from Univair.

2. The wings came from Dakota Cub with an installed electical wire to each wing tip. I have the print of the J3 wing construction but it does not show where the wires would exit the wood wing tip bow. Does anyone have the exact dimension say from the tip of the forward spar to where I could drill the wire hole? While I'm not putting nav lights on now, it might happen at some future date if I found some original nav light fixtures and I'd want to get to the wires without tearing into the fabric.

3. While Dakota Cub said all parts are PMA'd in the wings - no STC, my IA who will inspect before cover seems to question how he could write up the wing change without an STC. All I have from DC is the invoice describing the wing assembly and DC item number and statement that it is assembled according to Piper Dwg. #15556. Almost every part in the wing has a PMA stamp on it. How can I help my IA? I know DC will talk to my IA if asked but was wondering what you all might know about this.

Thanks a bunch...I've learned lots already from reading this site and of course the Cub Clues newsletters. BTW, it was Clyde Smith who inspected my old cub parts and help talk me into spending money to reduce time! I'll blame him!!!!

Jim

Latest posts

Back