• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J3 lift struts...again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a common issue brought up many times, but I want to run my story past any knowing folks out there to see if it rings true. I bought N55100, serial number 20890, Piper J3C, 1946 model year as a run-out but very complete airplane this past month. In going through the log books, there is an entry in 1993 stating that "Replaced all four lift struts with Piper factory new struts. AD on strut inspection no longer applies".

There is no mention of the strut being sealed directly. I contacted the piper factory and they told me that there is no way to tell the difference between their factory part numbers 85548-2 and 85547-2--their sealed struts, and the older non-sealed struts. However, since Ocober of 1990, they've not sold anything other than the sealed struts.

I'm chosing the believe that the evidence in the log book in 1993 of the strut replacement with "piper facory new" struts as sufficient evidence that the strut inspection AD does not apply to my airplane.

What say you all?

Latest posts

Back