• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J-3 Cub trip to Block Island (BID) - Recommendation on pattern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daluds

Reaction score
I plan to take Friday off from work and fly to Block Island, but last time I flew into Block Island or BID I had a difficult time in the pattern. I flew the pattern as shown in Black on the map below, but found most of the faster planes were flying along the coast and making a very wide downwind, base and final as shown in Red. The time I flew into BID there were maybe 10 planes broadcasting starting from 10-7 miles out in various directions. Once I started downwind, I heard 4 planes on final with 3 in sight. As I got closer to mid-field on the downwind leg I saw the 4th plane decending on top of the 3rd on final, and announced on the radio if the 4th had the traffic below in sight. He didn't, and diverged to the north out of the pattern.

By this time, I announced turning base and now number 2 to land with traffic insight. At the same time I heard another plane mention they are turning base, but did not see the traffic at first. A few seconds later I saw the very fast twin engine plane just off my right side (he was flying the yellow pattern). He flew under me and out of the pattern. It almost seems as if these other planes were trying to get in before the slow Cub. I also spoke to the folks running the FBO and they said they were listening to the radio and watching the events, but I didn't do anything wrong. The pilot flying the twin engine stopped by my Cub after I was on the ground and mentioned he didn't see me, but all is good.

Should I fly a wider pattern as shown in Red too, or fly a closer pattern as I did before? Most of the traffic on my first flight to BID was faster commercial flights.

BID.JPG

BID.JPG

Latest posts

Back