• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

I ran out of fuel today.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTx

Reaction score
...and had to pull over ;D

You see, I spent all day worrying about whether I had enough fuel in the Cub -- always watching that cork bounce and wondering if I have enough juice to make it to the next airport. Am I flying into a headwind? What if the engine quits now? Can I make that field? Well, I'm over farm country, there are many nice square pastures to slip into. Having only a total of something around 3hrs solo time, I'm still green when it comes to understanding my engine's fuel consumption (I think it's a little on the high side).

I made it to the airport in the Cub.

I did not make it home in my Jeep.

One minute the fuel gauge showed 1/4 of fuel left, the next minute I'm sputtering and being jolted back and forth trying to scrape every last ounce of fuel into the engine so I can pull off the San Antonio interstate and avoid being side swiped by some crazy teen out for a Saturday evening joy ride.

Stranded on the side of the highway, I called several friends, but neither were home. Alas, i could always count on old man Bob (my neighbor) and he shows up in no time in his trusty old Ford Ranger with a 2 gallon fuel can strapped in the back of his truck with his dog "Baby" along for the ride. I remember I once joked to him about that little "gas can" in the bed of his truck.

I fueled up, thanked him and went home.

A reminder to all: don't forget that you still need to get home to your loved ones after you are done flying. More pilots die in the car than the airplane.

Have a safe Thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back