• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

N6411H - A Single Engine J3...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdrood

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post - I originally posted this in the J3 Section but now realize this is the right place for it. J3C-65 s/n 19591, 1946, now has C85. We picked up N6411H earlier this summer and have been too busy to fly it, or work on it, let alone post about it. This baby comes with an interesting history, having been a twin engine Experimental in the Late 1960's. We have copies of the airworthiness certificates and logbook entries to back up this claim. Better, I just happened upon this picture of it in KOSH in 67 or 68 (as far as I can tell) and I took a picture of her at her new home at Goose Creek Airport (28A) near Charlotte, NC, for comparison.

Brakes are non functional, already have Groves ready to install. Repaired a broken oil pressure hard line, replaced the flex line, removed some wiring that may not (haha) have been up to 43.13 standards... She runs good. Next order of business is to try to somehow bring back the yellow dope because it is more or less brown now, as you can see. It was last recovered with Ceconite in early 1980s, but is in surprisingly good condition, no cracks but has really browned and it looks like the last coat of dope may have been improperly applied because it is possible to peel the outer layer off - at least it is on the right side right behind the firewall. Makes me think the outer layer is urethane, except that it dissolves easily in lacquer thinner.

Going to scrub it with fine scotch brite and some kind of compliant cleaner (suggestions welcome) and see how that goes. I did the belly immediately aft of the firewall and it actually cleaned up pretty well.

This is our first real airplane (we own a pristine B33 Debonair and a 172M), so I am looking forward to learning how to be a real pilot! Any suggestions anyone may have regarding anything about this plane - especially cleaning it up - would be very welcome!!

full

full

full

Latest posts

Back