• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

I felt like bricking my new ICOM A24 this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speeddemon651

Reaction score
Flew 17 hours over 2 days in a J-3 / A-65 (Slick Mags) covering 780 miles & 7 airports. Before jumping in the plane I flew with another pilot with this setup:

-Hard mount 45 degree stainless antenna on the wing flashing
-ICOM A24
-Sigtronics SPO-22 intercom
-PTT switch
-I was using an older Softcom headset
-Passenger was used a David Clark headset

Quality was perfect, Tower could read us loud and clear with no trouble at all.

Departing by myself I switched to my setup:
-Hard mount 45 degree stainless antenna on the wing flashing
-ICOM A24
-Softcom headset
-No push to talk switch, used the switch on the side of the radio

Tower could not make out a thing I was transmitting, just static. I could receive perfectly but could not contact anyone else. I tried the whip antenna, low rpm while gliding etc with no luck.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back