• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Grounding of All new style O-200A's due to Rocker Shaft Problems!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Denton

Inspect Rocker Shafts Immediately !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I performed an inspection on the rocker shafts, and set screw, on N977CC, and found all four set screws loose!!!!!
This allowed the rocker shaft to move, and cut a hole in the rocker cover, on N506CC. The engine was removed from N506CC, returned to Continental for repair, and reinstalled.
As of 9-10-2007, N977CC is Grounded, until Continental comes up with a Modification for the Cylinder Issue!!!!

The new style O-200A’s use a rocker shaft P/N 654375 (old style P/N 21153) and a Set Screw P/N MS51963-64 to retain the shaft, instead of letting it float like the old style.
The new style shaft is sharp on the end, and has a cut ground into the end of the shaft,
The cut is to line up with the flat in the shaft (which has one on each side) so the set screw will set in the correct spot.
The torque of the set screw is 45-55 in. lbs. and uses No Lock, it has no mechanical lock, nor does it use Locktite.
I have filed two Malfunction or Defect Reports (form 8010-4) on the two aircraft.
I would ask that anyone with this problem, Please file this form with the FAA.

Latest posts

Back