• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cylinders; Go new?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC58374

Flying is a miracle.
Reaction score
I know that everybody has an opinion and I am curious as to everyone's thoughts.
First some background so you can help me make an informed decision:

I have an A65 that has "logbook #2" as apparently logbook #1 was lost. (a likely story)
The only entry states that it was removed from fuselage #xxxx with 1550 hours TT on the engine. It is signed off by a person that I trust but when you looked at the engine it was very dirty like it had been rode hard and hung up wet many times. I was told that it ran fine when it was removed but it was just starting to develop low compression.
It had Bendix SF4 magnetos on it (which I am fond of) but one was an SF4R and one was an SF4L. One had the old type case cover which apparently hasn't been used since the 1950's as well as the flat type gears. My guess is that someone either changed the internals of one of the mags without changing the data plate or they just stabbed a couple of mags that they had laying around in order to sell the engine.
When I disassembled it and sent the parts off, the crankcase AND accessory case rejected due to cracks and damage. The lower spark plug helicoil for the #4 cylinder came out with the plug and funny thing, that plug was in only hand tight. This tells me that someone removed it and then said, "whoops!" and just screwed it back in for the new owner, (see me), to find later. The piston skirts were badly scored (see pictures) and some of the rocker arms rejected due to an illegal modification involving drilling oil holes into the bushing boss. The cam had to be ground and treated, and the crankshaft had to be ground .010 under.
Aircraft specialties Services and Divco did all of the work on the engine and they did phenomenal work and I would recommend them to anyone. Colorado Airparts sourced me an aluminum accessory case with an 8130.

So what do you all think? I am going to need cylinders but I am unsure as to whether I should go with brand new or should I have these overhauled?(assuming they can be)
Given the poor and suspect shape that everything else has been in to this point, I am leaning toward the new cylinders. I am a 35 year old newly minted A&P helicopter mechanic with a passion for flying and for wood and fabric airplanes and am building this airplane with the intention of selling it someday and I want it to be reliable, safe, and come with a stack of yellow tags and documentation that will make the new owner rest assured. I am a guy that is very much a "by the book" and I am not satisfied cutting corners. That said, if overhauled cylinders will provide safe and reliable service then I have no problem going that route.

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

Latest posts

Back