• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Great L-4 Book...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubbers,

I came across a book yesterday at work that might interest you L-4/NE-1 guys. It's called "Eyes of Artillery; The Origins of Modern U.S. Army Aviation in WWII" by Edgar F. Raines, Jr.

Oddly enough, I started to read it because it's on the "Professional Army Aviator Recommended Reading List" which is a well known source of books which put you to sleep in short order.

Anyway, it's an extremely detailed text of the tactical conditions that led the Army to procure a light observation plane, the fly-off between the various manufacturers, the procurement and validation process, and finally the L-4s use in all the theaters of WWII.

The book also describes in lesser detail all the other models of Grashoppers such as the L-2, L-3, L-5, L-14, L-15 etc. If you're like me, there's plenty of pictures to keep your interest, and great details of the personalities of the officers who championed the cause of the Grasshoppers.

Mike-

P.S. Will, feel free to move this to the book reviews room as you see fit.

Latest posts

Back