• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Assorted Piper L-4 Original Parts & Accessories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-29832

Reaction score
Canvas Fuselage Curtain

After reading our discussions and comments about the L-4 rear seat cushion, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on some other original parts and accessories for the L-4. This one is covers the canvas curtain/ canvas fuselage curtain that is at the rear of the cockpit area. The curtain is attached to the underside of the back desk and attaches into the top edge of the wood slat at the aft end of the floorboard. The curtain is attached to the wood slat using snap fasteners AKA "Durable Dot buttons".

Years ago I bought two NOS canvas fuselage curtains ago just because. It's a disease as you all know. My L-4 originally restored by Dave Henderson included a canvas curtain that is still in place although somewhat faded. I believe that it was made by Dick Hall since the back belt I have is one of Dick's.

I can see very little difference between the details of the one that is on my L-4 and the originals; the canvas / duck is the same weight (12 oz.), the color is OD and the snaps are black. But there is one exception. The two originals in my possession have 5 snaps rather than the 4 snaps that are on my airplane. I haven't seen the drawing of the curtain to verify the design specification for the number of snaps.

The curtain is not included in the 1943 parts manual although the specs of it are in Drawing #50972. The stock number for the curtain is included in the 1956 USAF Supply Catalog Parts for the Piper L-4 and L-21 Aircraft but only identified by a part number. I have not seen the drawing but Paul refers to this part as a "canvas curtain" so I suspect that is the correct nomenclature of the part.

The canvas curtain was made by Piper in their Sewing Department. During the period of the start of production at Lock Haven and at least through WWII, the fabric parts of the aircraft were made by that department. The Sewing Department also made the seat cushions and inserted /blew in the kapok or bullrush substitute filling into the seats. The curtains have Piper Aircraft Corporation (P.A.C.) inspector stamps and Piper tags identifying the part number.

The evidence for the local production of the fabric material is based upon a number of indicators; the existence of the Sewing Department, photographs of their workstations equipped with sewing machines, newspaper articles detailing the work of retiring Sewing Department employees, a WWII Piper incentive award to a Sewing Department employee who improved the method of blowing the kapok into the seat cushion housing, the PAC inspector stamps and the Piper part tags.

Tom

43-29832

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide8.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Slide10.jpg