• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

O-59 through L-4J FAA registered aircraft list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speeddemon651

Reaction score
Over the last several months in searching for a L-4 to buy, I went through every serial number that was delivered to the US military during WWII in the FAA data base starting with the O-59 (serial # 7842) through to the last L-4J delivered (serial # 14033).

Essentially I've compiled a complete list of every registered L-4 in the country based solely on their serial number and then sent out a series of post cards to try to find a cub for sale, you might had seen a previous post of mine about it .

From this search I've found several interesting things:

• Over the years as aircraft were wrecked, there is no telling how many were rebuilt completely from J-3 parts but have L-4 paperwork.
  • Interestingly enough you can see patterns of certain groups of serial numbers seem to have stayed in regions of the country where they were sold surplus.
  • By searching strictly serial numbers only, I've found several L-4's even in driving distance that the owners had no clue were actual L-4's with military history. They were converted years ago to look like J-3's and painted yellow and they had no clue.
  • There are quite a few mistakes as to registered type, for example there are aircraft registered as one model L-4 but are actually another
  • There are a lot of incorrect manufactured years listed. (In my spread sheet I have the correct model and manufactured year listed as cross referenced from Piper books)
  • There are 355 aircraft total on the spread sheet
  • About 58 of them have dead registration that has not been touched since 1977. (For any Warbird barn hunters, there could be great projects waiting to be found out there.)
  • This list does not include any L-4's that were noted to had been exported post WWII and this list doesn't include NE-1's or NE-2's.
I built this list solely in my pursuit to find an authentic L-4 and if anyone would like to have a copy please send me a pm. I would be happy to pass it along and have someone else make use of it. All of the info is easily found in the FAA data base, I just took the time to query 6191 serial numbers and then organize it in an excel spread sheet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back