• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Great Carb Service from D&G, Supply in Niles, Michigan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philco

Reaction score
I can’t say enough good things about D&G Supply in Niles, Michigan!

My Stromberg NA-S3A1 carb ran perfectly for approximately 275 hours then started to run extremely rich. My IA and I confirmed there was not a primer leak, no induction leaks, no carb heat leaks, checked the float level and found no problems. I sent it to D&G for rebuilding. The returned, rebuilt carb was installed and idled ok but my 85 Continental ran too lean, hotter than originally and transitioned from idle to power with a terrible stumble and cough. The only way it wouldn’t stumble, cough and almost die was to run carb heat anytime between 1050 and 1200 rpm. I couldn’t taxi without running carb heat anytime the throttle was in that range.

A friends 85 HP Stromberg was installed and my 85 Continental again ran perfectly…no stumble, no hesitation, no need to run carb heat to taxi and transition the 1050 to 1200 stumble rpm. Temps were back to normal. I returned the malfunctioning carb to D&G. It was re-jetted and again returned to me. It was a little better but still stumbled, coughed and had to be run with carb heat to taxi.

I live in the desert of Oregon and I know it’s not carb ice…the temperature and humidity made no difference and the rejetted carb again ran hotter than when my carb was running correctly. Our humidity this hot, dry miserable, forest fire, smoky summer has ranged from 4% to 40%. Humidity made no difference in the stumble, hesitation.

I put 30 frustrating hours on the rejetted carb on the dry side of Oregon and it never got better. My IA and I adjusted the idle mixture in 1/8 turns from near starvation to overly rich and there was no place it would transition from idle to the main jet. I tried to convince myself it was ok but faced reality that it was not functioning correctly. My IA and I put the borrowed carb back on and it again ran perfectly and cooler.

Russ Romey, owner of D&G, sent me a replacement carb which will be installed as soon as my IA can fit me in his schedule. I’ll return the original carb to D&G for parts or whatever. Until then, I’m running a borrowed carb that runs perfectly.

Thank you Russ for the outstanding, professional service. It is refreshing to work with a trustworthy, honest company that means it when they say their work is warrantied.

Back