• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Got lots of time --what is best way to learn to fly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTx

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am 27 years old and currently have lots of free time to start flight training this year (oh the benefits of being single!). I want to ask you, the Cub community, what is the absolute best way to train and be the best tail-dragger pilot possible? I have 0 training hours, so you’re basically talking to someone that hasn’t even learned to walk yet!

I’ve heard it said on this forum (and others), that it’s a good idea to start your training in a tail-dragger first. Do you all agree with this? If so, why?

Some info about me: I am based in San Antonio, Texas. I have a dear friend that is willing to give me some free lessons in his C150. I’ve helped him several times for the past year and he says he wants to compensate me with some basic lessons. However, the problem is that I don’t know if I feel too safe flying with him…he lost his medical and he’s around 82 years old. He was a military flight instructor. You hate to turn down things like this…especially if it’s free. Maybe I’m just being overly cautious? What do you think I should do? How does this affect the way my mind works with transitioning from tricycle to tailwheel?

I really appreciate any feedback ya’ll can provide!

Latest posts

Back