• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Getting the first part of weight increase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renkou1

Reaction score
Used some good aircraft scales and found that the last weight of 763 pounds is correct. As an 1100 pound gross wt ac that means my lady and I can put enough fuel in the ac to taxi to end of runway.
I need the a gross wt increase. At least the first increase.
Inspection of the landing gear attach fittings indicates they are modified in accordance with the appropriate drawings for the 50# increase.
The wing struts all have recently inspected 7/16 clevises and the struts were Maule tested. So the bottom ends of the struts should be good for the 70# increase.
One of the rear wing struts has the round tube non- strap top end. Does this disqualify the strut for the weight increase?
The way I understand this wt increase business is: no matter how strong the gear is if the struts are not done for that increase there is NO increase possible. Correct?

Also I did a wt and balance computation that I didn't think needed doing because the empty wt falls in the empty wt limits....sitting in the back seat at 200 #s I'm 1.76 inches out of the rear C.G. limits. This explains my running out of nose down trim as my fuel is used.
I'm about that far inside the rear limit if I sit in the front seat.
Working on getting smarter here.

Latest posts

Back