• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

fuel tank float --cork replacement

h. carson

Reaction score
need info. on a source of cork to repair fuel tank gage.

longwinglover

Reaction score
Mr. Carson,

A craft store is my best suggestion. You may have to andwich 2 or more peices together to get the height. Remember you will have to coat with a fuel proof coating.

If you choose to fabricate with a new wire I might suggest a similar diameter peice of welding rod with a coating (copper?) that won't rust. Also to get the correct length to the 90 deg bend at the top of the wire, drain the fuel tank, level the plane then add 30 minutes worth of fuel for your engine. Install the cap with the wire protruding and mark for bending at the top of the cap/tube. This way when the wire gets down to the tube, you know how much gas you have left. (That's what Piper did!)

I have also heard of people substituting a float from a car sending unit for the cork.

John Scott

Patrick

Reaction score
I´ve seen a neat one made with stainless wire and a brass carb float soldered on.

The trick I read about in Cub Club News is to coat the cork with lady´s nail varnish - it works! I´ve been doing it for years.

Isaac

Reaction score
I just ordered one from wag aero m133000. hope it has some kind of sealed cork it cost $70

BobJenkinsJr.

Reaction score
We found an article in Cub Clues that showed you can use a float from a '56 Chevy fuel gauge sending unit. I bought a new one from a '55-'57 Chevy supply and it works perfect. We just soldered it on in place of the cork and it has been trouble free.

flynlow

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to "calibrate" the floating rod? I'd like to drain the fuel tank and then add fuel a gallon at a time and mark the rod with some type of fuel proof paint or marking. At the very least I'd like to be able to quickly see that I have 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 tank.
Does anyone know of a way to mark that on the rod without it causing the rod to "stick"?

D

Denton

I would recomend the new fiber replacement assy. from Univair, as it is an approved replacement for the original.
If you were to send any aircraft float to a repair station for repair, it will come back with a fiber type float, as we can no longer use cork!

Smokey Mountain Aviation