• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Franklin 65 Exhaust Sleeve

ATCT

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
Well this is my first post. Will grabbed me from SuperCub.Org and told me I better get my butt over here to J-3's home on the web (j/k j/k).

Anywho Im looking for someplace to get the sleeve that holds the muffler cabin heat manifold together (on top of the muffler). Sorry for the not-so-technical description. We currently have it safety wired until we can find the original part.

Im also looking for anyone who knows where to get Franklin parts period. My new baby (got her 2 weeks ago) is a 1940 J-3F65, #5903 with a Franklin 65HP. Any help or advice on locating franklin parts would be much appreciated!!!

Clint
"ATCT"
Houston, TX

longwinglover

Reaction score
Clint,

There was a specific reference to a specific name in your thread on Supercub.org. Somebody in OK? The Franklins are good engines and you will eventually get into the small group that keeps them running. You'll also begin to understand why most J3F's have been converted to Continentals.

Enjoy your "new" J3 and welcome to the group.

John Scott

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Clint! Thanks for joining our little band of yellow plane people....

Let's keep working on the Texas Fall Cub flyin...

will

ATCT

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
Well I think I found the part number. In the J3 parts manual page 39, I think they have it under "Slide Assembly - Clip" p/n 71261-00. Appears to be the same on the Franklin and Continental motors.

-Clint

longwinglover

Reaction score
Clint,

After consulting my copy of the pre-war J3Parts list (that has all the engines in it), I can confirm that the part number you listed is applicable to both the Continental and Franklin engine exhausts.

John Scott

ATCT

Reaction score
Anywho I did get the part, works great, thanks for the help. Ive called pretty much everything franklin related and have gotten no where on 65HP support. Anywho if anyone ever see's any parts (or has any) let me know!!!

Clint

skipster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I recognized that tail number. If I remember correctly, that Cub spent most of its life around here from new. In the very early 60's my father would rent a Cub and take us kids for a ride on our birthday. I got to ride in that Cub many times. 30 years later a friend was looking for a Cub and wanted me to do a pre buy on it. What a surprise I had when I saw it was the same Cub I remembered as a kid. He bought it and kept it on my field, but soon got the itch for a Stearman and put it up for sale. My heart wanted to buy it for sentimental reasons but I already had 2 Cubs and couldn't justify it. The Franklin was a good engine and it made the power it was rated at,(unlike the Lycoming, which as far as I am concerned is only a 50HP motor.) It's too bad that there isn't a good parts supply like the Continental. It's so nice to see something different and original. Happy SAFE flying. Cubs are the BEST!!