• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Flys, "Just like a Cub", reflections(long)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5man

Reaction score
My first airplane ride when I was about 11 was in a J3. I wore out a book in grade school on "How to fly" which used a J3 and by the time I had my first lesson in 1971 in a PA28 I pretty much figured I actually knew how to fly from reading.. WRONG! I am not a natural pilot, but that's another story.
After some time in the PA28 I joined the Aberdeen Proving Ground Flying club. I had about 200hr in C150, 172, T41B and about 30hr in an O1D Birdog when I decided I just had to own a plane of my own. Naturally my first though was a J3. There were several around in the $3000 range at the time but a C120 came my way. With 85hp, electric, radio and side by side etc.(not to mention moving at lightspeed compared to a Cub) ;) both me and Marcia(wife) decided it was no contest. With relatives in Ohio about 375 miles away the 120 seemed idea and it was indeed a good choice. We put about 250 hrs on the 120 and made several 3-500mile X-C's. I then got involved with some sport/homebuilt types on the field and just had to have a Pitts. Did get a nice S1C-150hp flew it for a couple years but the single place didn't work for "us". Went through a Spezio(original ser#1 BTW), a PA16 and finally a Starduster Too. Flew several other types belonging to friends. Quit in 1985 for various reasons, church/kids(time) and money etc. not necessarlly in that order. Well didn't intend to quit, was going to get a BC12D and looked at several over a couple years and even kept/sub-let my hanger. But I didn't find the right Taylorcraft and used my excess funds on other things and in reality my last flight was in Aug of 1985.....

I had heard and even used the term myself "Flys just like a Cub". Even though I had not actually flown a Cub I kinda felt I knew how one would fly. After doing some stalls for the first time in the Pitts and being asked how it behaved and recalling how honest it was I replied, "just like a Cub" with a big :D. Another time I had a chance to fly a C47. Asking how it flew as I sat down in the left seat the IP said with a smile, "Just like a big heavy Cub". The phrase was heard and used often....

Fast forward to the present. I got the bug again about a year ago and secured a Wittman Tailwind project. The owner down on the Md. eastern shore was losing his farm/airport and had about 12 shortwing Pipers stuffed in his hanger that had to go. When I went to truck home the W10 project I made the mistake of asking how much for the assembled PA22-135(Project) in the middle of the hanger and went back a couple weeks later and trailered it home. I secured a hanger at 1W3 in Cumberland Md.(I'm in Springfield, WV). The owner(Glen) of the hanger had his AcroSport2 next door and had recently become the owner of a J5A. Glen's Acro had been wrecked by another pilot several years ago and is almost ready again. He has not flown himself for some time and as we became friends a relationship has formed in which I offered to help him get back to speed. Anyway, I find myself with a Cub to fly(and a bi-plane this spring hopefully). I needed to get up to speed myself and secured my medical and then a flight review in a C150. Others may be different but to me it was like riding a bicycle. I was surprized at how quickly it all came back. I think it amazed my instructor somewhat too. Got named on the J5 insurance and proceeded to check myself out. I took things slow and haven't bothered yet with any nasty conditions but after logging a couple hours and about 20 landings with both full stall and wheels on the hard surface next door at CBE yesterday I can now say that the J5 flys almost exactly how I imagined it would, "just like a Cub". I know some purist will suggest that a J5 is not a J3 and it is not. And I'm sure I will get to finally get to actually fly a J3 sometime in the future. But I suspect it too will handle as I imagined, just like a Cub should.

And was I correct about the Pitts and C47? Yes indeed, they were absolutely honest,

Just like a Cub! ;D

My only thought is that I maybe should have strapped on a Cub back when I decided on the 120. I might have been as satisfied with it then as I am now so happy with the J5 and my flying history would have been different and maybe more constant.....?

Well maybe one other thought(with flame suit ready), Why did J3 production continue(other than the war) after the J5 came along...... I know it's not really 3 place but to my mind it's still a bunch of bang for the buck, and can still be flown from the back too

Warm regards,

Jack

Latest posts

Back