• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

First Solo and First Cross Country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soyAnarchisto

Reaction score
At the same time. Finally got the tach back from keystone and got it installed. Finally got my insurance required dual taken care of in time for my first solo - so I decided to make it a 500+ nm cross country - in the mountains - to Santa Fe, NM.

Left Boulder, CO (KBDU) at 7:30 AM for the first time solo in a J3C. Decided I probably should do a little pattern work - so I took 3 touch and gos and departed to the south. I stopped for fuel in Pueblo - after radio and xponder problems prevented me from plowing through colorado springs class charlie as I had planned. Then I crossed the la veta pass with a decent head wind - I won't say what it was - but normally I'd stay on the ground if I saw a report of what I measured. But the air was smooth and I went for a look-see. I was able to get high enough to avoid the rotor turb - and crossed at 11,000ft MSL, 2400ft AGL.

Didn't have enough fuel to make it to Taos, so stopped at Alamosa. Had trouble starting for some reason - but figured it out and soldiered on to Santa Fe. Unfortunately the headwinds and delays all added up - and couldn't make it to Santa Fe before twighlight - so diverted to Taos and rented a car to make my dinner plans with family. Went back on friday turned in the rental car and did the final leg to Santa Fe.

I learned a little more on the return, but was still cursed with headwinds. But I got an earlier start, and finally think I've got the cold-start mojo - oh and dropped some big coin to have the plane overnight in a warm and toasty hangar before leaving. Flew to Alamosa again for fuel. Then a slightly different mountain pass, Mosca for a more direct and sneak route to the back side of the front range. Fuel in Canon City - overflew Shelf Road - my old rock climbing haunt and an awesome ride down the headwaters of the south platte as the winds were really kicking up. The glider pilots were all launching full of shits and giggles - but the lowly cub pilot suffering through the rotor turbulence of the mountain wave had an exciting 10 knot direct xwind landing with plenty of scary wind shear.

All in all - uber exciting first trip out. I learned a lot - tried to safe safe and push myself a little at the same time. Looking forward to many more in my new-to-me '46 J3C. Stay safe out there kids!

Mosca Pass from 11,500ft looking north toward Crestone Peak with the Great Sand Dunes National Park below me:
705190_4350718040878_182276495_o.jpg

Mosca Pass looking south to Blanca Peak:
679784_4350730961201_1012431412_o.jpg

Western slope of Pikes Peak:
704557_4350731361211_596046117_o.jpg

Approaching Mosca:
706240_4350716240833_771077406_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back