• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

West coast to OSH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon

Reaction score
Title says it all.

Well, most of it all. A65, wood prop, 12 gal.

20 stops so far, and that's if all goes according to plan. Things never go to plan.

My biggest concern (aside from an engine out in AZ or NM) is fuel. 12 gallons may be *just* enough, but doesn't leave any real outs on a few of the legs. I'm planning on carrying at least 5 gal in the front seat, but would like to avoid landing out just to top off if possible.

I know some here have ventured to SJ on 12 gal and survived, and I'm sure others will be doing it as well - there's currently 12 other J-3's listed as OSH bound from the bay area south, so I'm guessing I won't be the only fuel-challenged one going.

Already have a 406 mhz on order (airplane is currently ELT-less) and a McMurdo FF 210 PLB. Not planning on flying further from a highway than I can hike with my available water. This takes some tempting shortcuts out of play, but one must always play Murphy's law to their advantage.

I've been looking at this for a while, and flown over the route to ELP many times, albeit from a slightly higher vantage point. I'm not too concerned from ELP-OSH, but the deserts certainly have my respect.

While I make my living flying airplanes and have flown Cubs on and off most of my life (first solo was in an L-4), this is far outside my normal routine. It's certainly doable, but would like any and all advice to include in my planning.

SZP2OSH.jpg

SZPtoOSH.jpg

Latest posts

Back