• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

First return

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
OK, AS I am sure most of you must be aware, I have been selling hand made replicas of cork floats and wires. I have been really lucky to have done reasonably well in getting my money back that they cost me, and I have been pleased with the responses I get from those who have bought them.

Until today.

A guy orders a cork and float and like all the rest I send him one. Awhile later, he gets back to me through Paypal demanding that I return his money and the cost of shipping it back to me. He said that the wire is too flimsy because it was not 3/32. He said also that the wire was not in the "exact center" of the cork. Further, he said that the epoxy was sticky like it wasn't mixed properly.

I informed him that it is usual for the buyer to give the vendor a chance to make things right, and not just demand that I owe him X amount. But to go ahead and return it.

To address the points he made, I stated in the descriptions of the floats on the forum, that the wire would be 1/16 Stainless welding wire. As far as the wire not being in the exact center of the cork, I do the best I can with a drill press and drill press machine vise, but the drill bit is thin and flexible and the varying density of cork deflects the bit sometimes. I do the best I can. About the sticky epoxy, sometimes humidity effects the surface. They are dry and hard when I send them out. You might try to stick it in the oven at around 150 degrees for an hour or two. Heat accelerates the drying.

If the cork floats on the gas and the wire doesn't flap around in the breeze, that's all they're supposed to do. I am not aware of how a slightly off center wire will make a difference, but ....

There is no way for me to make a fuel gage from a cork and a wire that will be accurate by the regulations, which state that the gage must read "Zero" when there is no more useable fuel in the tank. All I can do is do my best to make a functional copy of the fuel gage that was originally approved.

If any of you are dissatisfied with the workmanship or function of the cork floats I have made, by all means get back to me and I will do anything that I can to make it right.

Latest posts

Back