• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

First Landing was a wheel landing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaL4

Reaction score
Horrible weather today but we finally got a brief break in the rain and I was able to get around the pattern for one landing. Thunderstorms all around the airport with a gusty left crosswind..

She came off the ground really fast in the wind and it was rock and roll around the pattern so we don't know yet if she will fly hands off. I flew in to some light rain as I turned final from a big storm moving towards the airport and by the time we got the plane in the hangar the bottom fell out again.

I took off with the stab at neutral and trimmed her a little nose down for the wheel landing. Flew her on and touched down on the left gear and then brought the other gear down and she stopped pretty fast with the wind.

I had not flown a Cub in 20 years but the plane handled extremely well and she handled the rough crosswind with ease. Frank got a couple of pictures as I lifted off and I will try and post one later.

I have to say that the Cub handled the weather today a lot better than my C-140 would have. The Cub gear is very stiff and solid when you plant the aircraft on one wheel. the Cessna gear is much more springy.

Steve

Latest posts

Back