• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Field Artillery Journal, Air Ops - Cub combat conditions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-491

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of pages excerpted from the Field Artillery Journal that gives a glimpse of what it was like to fly an L-4 Cub in Air Operations over the front lines and up to 5 - 10 miles deep behind the lines at an altitude of between 1000 - 2500 feet. Doesn't sound fun. Some things mentioned:

Flying at night under moonlight to avoid being detected by German fighters

Cub & crew combat casualties attributed to:

- direct machine gun fire
- small arms fire / pot shots
- German anti-aircraft
- American anti-aircraft / friendly fire
- a lot of ME-109 attacks....Cub wing smashed off in a collision with a 109, an engine shot off a Cub, both wings shot off a Cub. One evasion technique was to keep flying to the center of the ME-109's turning radius, descending toward your lines in the process. And I would add, probably start saying a little prayer.

A lot of neat stuff in these Journals. I'll post some additional Cub related stuff. If this is old news or boring, let me know.

Dave

Air Ops.jpg

Air Ops 3.jpg

Air Ops 4.jpg

Air Ops 5.jpg

Air Ops.jpg

Air Ops 3.jpg

Air Ops 4.jpg

Air Ops 5.jpg

Latest posts

Back