• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine skipping today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennj3

Reaction score
I planned on flying some young eagles tomorrow, have not been flying often due to the heat level.
First I found a nice bird nest in the back of the engine, removed it and blew all of the pieces away. Then washed her down after replacing the rubber grommet around the gas tank with the one from John Deer, nice fit.

She had time to dry pretty well. Cranked easy as usual. Taxied to the end, started my run up, mag check good, pulled carburetor heat (usually drops 100 rpm) this time she dropped down I thought she was just going to stop.
I released the carb heat and she kept on skipping pretty badly. She straitend out some, I taxied back to the hanger, shocked the wheels and ran her up around 1800 RPM, seemed to do OK. Back to 1000 RPM or less and she is still skipping. Dark exhaust coming out from the pipe like running rich. No back firing, just skipping.
I noticed the left back intake pipe was dripping condensation from it down to the boot. Of course the carb was wet too. None of the other intake pipes had condensation on them.

If you remember I have had a (what I believe to be a carb ice issue a lot). This is not carb ice.

I have removed the cowling for tomorrow. Plan to check the compressions particularly the left back cylinder. May have a sticking valve or is just not closing fully.
Plan to remove the carburetor and check for cleanliness and the needle, float etc. One never knows if a dirt dobler or something else has built a nest in something.

C85-12, Stromberg carb

Any other ideas comments are always appreciated.

Glenn G

Latest posts

Back