• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine dehumidifier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Glenn asked me about how I built my engine dehumidifier. If during the cold season your Cub sits for prolonged periods of time it´s a good way of avoiding corrosion, which will not occur if the in-engine air has a humidity below 40 %. It´s really simple to build one, you need some tubes, one (or as in the drawing two) air-tight boxes (plastic ones for food-leftovers are OK), an airpump for aquarium use, a dust filter or similar for a vacuumcleaner and about one and a half pound of silicagel chrystals. These chrystals are the same as you can find in small bags when you buy electronic equipment, but who sells larger quantities of that in the US beats me.

A small coke bottle cut in half fits over the dip-stick hole of a Cub and a tapered rubber cork of adequate size goes inte the "engine ventilation hole" (On my Cub the vent exits out the lower cowling). Drill holes through the corks and the box(es) and fit the tubes, use silicone to make the system airtight. The dust filter goes between the chrystals and the airpump, either folded if in one box or on the bottom of the first box if using two (as in teh drawing). If you use two boxes, drill holes between them and screw them together, seal with silicone.

After one month use or so you heat the chrystals in the owen (120 degrees Celsius) for 20 minutes and they are re-loaded to suck up more moisture from the guts of your engine!

The drawing is in Swedish, alas. "Gummi" = Rubber, "Luft" = Air, measures in milimeter.

Just (L-)4 fun/ Jörgen

image002.jpg

image002.jpg

Latest posts

Back