• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Drag wire conclusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa

Reaction score
Papa Charlie Here: I do appreciate all the info about "tuning" a wing. I didn't read the right book. I had not put the wings together using trammel points, but I did do some very precise measuring, and the results are that I have wings that are square. I did go back and measure the tensions (15lbs /1/2" deflection) and they were very close. My question about tuning stems from years of bicycling..and years of truing wheels. As a practical matter, with no scientific basis that I could put my finger on, wheels that were built with uniform spoke tension did better that those that were not. I did notice that the difference in "tone" of tightened spoke varied a great deal with even the slightest tightening of a spoke..say less than an 1/8th of a turn. I worked at getting the same tune from all spokes of a wheel. Over the course of 40 something years of pretty serious biking, I broke very few spokes. Somewhere in my education, there was an explanation of the implications of tension in structure, compression, etc,.. I haven't started playing with it yet but I suspect that I'll find that it requires so little adjustment to change the "tune" of the drag wires, that it will not effect the squareness of the wing. Thanks again. Papa Charlie

Latest posts

Back