• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub thermalling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just like Steve I also had a very nice Cub flight this weekend. A northerly wind brought arctic air with incredible visibility in an unstable airmass that offered massive thermals. With 15-1600 rpm I gather I have about zero sink at 30-35 mph, and configured like that (trim way back) I climbed to cloudbase in one booming thermal. You should try that, a Cub is actually not a bad thermalling ship at all since it has good handling characteristics at slow speeds. The slow airspeed is definitly an advantage when curving thermals, allowing you to do tight circles. You just have you "filter out" the engine and prop to get the glider feel...

After a calm, looong glide at idle (of course with carb heat and the occasional burst of power to lubricate/heat/avoid shock cooling etc) I landed at my cousins ranch which is all runway now that harvest is over. His coffeepot is always on and his wife makes excellent cinnamon buns. Not all other aircraft allows you to sample all of this in one single flight!

Just (L-)4 fun/ Jörgen

Latest posts

Back