• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

"Do you like your cub?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
“Do you like your Cub?”, the man asked as he burst through the door into my hangar, where I was patiently waiting for the fog to clear off the ridges. The Cub was outside, all ready to go, pre-flight done, chocks set, safety rope tied.

“Why do you ask?”, I replied.

“I just came back from Oshkosh, and really liked the EuroFox S-LSA. I think it is the best new airplane for the money, but then I have seen you fly your Cub around here, and it looks so neat, and basic, and part of history, and fun to fly, that I just had to ask if you like it.”

Turns out the man is an Air Force pilot, now a Colonel assigned to the Pentagon. He has flown everything from really antique bi-planes to the latest aircraft produced for the Air Force, and many foreign aircraft. Before his Pentagon job he was Commandant of the Air Force Test Pilot School!

We talked a few minutes, but the fog cleared soon and he jumped up as suddenly as he arrived, saying he had to go get the glider operations going, as he was Duty Officer.

“I’ll come see you after my flight”, I called after him.

It was a beautiful, clear, high visibility day. However, I had waited much longer than expected to fly, so just stayed in the area and made five take-offs and full stop landings.

After the flight, I went to the terminal and answered his question.

What do you suppose I told him?

The ridges will be clear in a few minutes!
8021RidgeAlmostClear.jpg

Climb out.
8025ClimbOut.jpg

"Cub 818, could you extend your downwind a little to give us more time on this first tow hook-up?"
8030GliderTowHookUp.jpg

After the flight, sitting quietly in the back seat, contemplating the meaning of life, letting it all sink in, wondering who put that cloud up there?
8031ContemplatingTheMeaning.jpg

Chuck Shaw

Latest posts

Back